Health officials mentioned Friday that an Illinois patient who contracted a severe lung disease after vaping has died and that they consider it the first loss of life in the United States associated to the smoking option that has become popular in teens and youngsters.
The Illinois Department of Public Health, the patient, was hospitalized after falling sick following vaping, though it didn’t give different information about the person, including the affected person’s name, age, hometown or date of demise.
The state acquired the report of the death Thursday, stated Dr. Jennifer Layden, the Illinois company’s chief medical officer.
All of the incurred have been teens or adults who had consumed an electronic cigarette or some other type of vaping device. Doctors say the diseases resemble an inhalation injury, with the lungs reacting to a caustic substance. So far, infectious diseases have been dominated out.
The sicknesses have been reported since late June, but the total depend has risen rapidly in the past week. That could be partly as a result of cases that weren’t initially being linked to vaping have begun to be grouped that way.
Among the latest records are two in Connecticut, four in Iowa and six in Ohio. Health officials are suggesting doctors and hospitals must inform state health officers about any possible vaping-related lung disease cases they find.
In its news release, the Illinois agency stated the number of people who contracted a respiratory illness after vaping had doubled in the past week, to 22.
Electronic cigarettes have been described as a less harmful alternative to regular cigarettes, but health officials have been worried about kids using them. Many of the concern has focused on nicotine, which health officials say is harmful to developing brains and may make kids more likely to take up cigarettes.
However, some vaping products have been found to contain other potentially harmful substances, including flavoring chemicals and oils used for vaping marijuana, experts say.
A number of the individuals who obtained sick had vaped products containing THC, the excessive-inducing ingredient in marijuana. CDC officials stated they do not have a breakdown of how many of the infected people vaped THC.
The American Vaping Association, an advocacy group, issued a statement arguing that “tainted, black market THC products” are to blame. The group is known as on federal officers to clear nicotine vaping products of suspicion.
Matthew Myers, the head of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, stated the illnesses underscore why the U.S. Food and Drug Administration must be looking into e-cigarettes and their impact on health before they are often sold to the public.